Sunday, January 17, 2010

BIRTHDAY PARTIES PART 1-

WHAT AGE DO YOU START AND STOP HAVING “FRIEND PARTIES”

Wow- have birthday parties changed since I was a kid. I think I was in 2nd grade when I got my first invitation to a school friend’s birthday party. And I probably averaged about one or two a year until 8th grade. The early grade school parties were held at the friend’s home, pizza, some games (pin the tail on the donkey, bing bag toss), followed by cake, ice cream and gift opening. I have no idea how long they lasted, I’m guessing about 2 hours. I did go to one party at McDonald’s and that was a BIG deal. By fourth grade the friend parties were usually sleep-overs with about 4 girls and the parents would order in pizza and we’d stay up late watching Fantasy Island and The Love Boat. I think I went to my last birthday “party” in 6th grade, might’ve even been 5th. After that they weren’t official parties with cake and ice cream and all that, it was more just close friends doing whatever junior high girls did in the 80’s –recording Duran Duran and Boy George songs off the radio, eating pizza, talking about boys, going to a movie.

Chase received his first birthday party invitation when he was three, his friend from daycare was turning 3 and the party was at McDonald’s. No, he didn’t attend. I just felt he was too young. Yes, parties are fun and social and all that, but 3? Julia attended four birthday parties last year, she’s only 4 and she doesn’t want me hanging around until the party is over either. By the way, these parties have all been destination parties; Chuck E. Cheese, bowling centers, McDonald’s, inflatable jumping thing centers, gymnastic studios, with anywhere from 8 to 20 kids attending. I always ask the parent when responding if they want me to stay or leave and they usually say “whatever you want” if there is a standard protocol for parents at these destination parties I don’t know what it is. So, what is the right age to start having friend parties? And, since it seems children starting to have parties at younger ages, does that mean they stop at 4th grade?

No comments:

Post a Comment