My last blog about birthday parties was primarily about how my children have been receiving invites to friends' parties since they were 3 - which I find to be too young. This time it's about how elaborate these parties are.
My birthday parties as a kid were family affairs and pretty low key - TONS of fun, but nothing compared to what goes on now. (Have you seen My Super Sweet 16?) I must admit that I am guilty of overdoing it on occasion:
Exhibit A: When my son turned 1 we had pony rides in the driveway - I know, over the top.
Exhibit B: When my daughter turned 2 we rented a bouncy castle, had a pig roast, and I needed to take an extra day off to prepare for 50 of our closest family and friends.
My only defense (weak as it may be) is that I want my kids to remember their birthday plus my husband and I don't entertain very often so I use the kids' birthday parties as an opportunity to go a little crazy. I've stopped doing that because it finally dawned on me that, at 1 and 2 - even 3, 4, or 5+, the kids can't really appreciate everything that goes into a party (or even remember it), and they're so excited they don't eat anything other than the frosting off their cake. So I stopped.
The parties my children attend for their friends are incredible. From bouncing centers (large warehouse filled with 10 different bouncy things) and petting zoos with performing animals to Chuck E. Cheese and costume bowling parties. As if the entertainment, fun food, and celebrating with their friends isn't enough, they always come home with a "goodie" bag - since when did children need swag? Why should my children get gifts for coming to another child's birthday party. Yes, it's a nice sentiment, but why? Personally I've never sent home goodie bags, it's not that I don't appreciate the friends that come to the party, we just send thank you notes.
As my children get older we will start having more "friend only" parties, however I think I'll limit it to 3 friends plus my child - 4 seems like a manageable number to me. Most of the parties my children go to have anywhere between 10 to 20 kids there. Wow! Even with other parents to help there's no way I could manage that many children at a bowling center, pretty sure I couldn't manage 20 five-year olds at my house - what if it rains that day! Plus I want my children to enjoy their friends that are there and appreciate the party. So, how do you handle your childrens' birthday parties - all out or low key?
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment