Monday, January 18, 2010

Necessary Evil: The bus

It seems like the school bus environment hasn't changed much since I was riding it. Unfortunately, it is a necessary evil, how else can parents make sure their kids are getting to and from school? I remember being in second grade and being absolutely terrified of getting pick on my older kids, as I became one of the older kids I remember hating have to sit on the stinky, crowded, bumpy, poorly ventilated, bus being irritated by younger kids kicking the back of the seat. Not to mention the grumpy, rude bus driver.

Before my son started kindergarten he couldn't wait to take the bus, that lasted 1 week. Then he began begging me to drive him to school and pick him up because the driver was mean, not to mention the bigger kids pushed him around. It wasn't too long before I received a noticed that he was misbehaving on the bus, but since he was a kindergartner he'd just get a warning. A few months later he was suspended from the bus for a day. What grievous deed did my five year old execute? He stood up on the bus before it came to a complete stop. WHAT? The no tolerance policy means that you get one warning and then you lose privileges. However, when I called the bus company to complain that my son was being bullied into sitting with a 2nd grade girl who was also kissing him on the bus, I was told, "oh he'll be fine, he's a boy." Again, WHAT???? I'm sure if my son was forcing a girl to sit with him and kissing her, he'd lose the "privilege" to ride the bus for the rest of his life. Add in the extremely colorful vocabulary he's picked up riding the bus, the bus driver that throws out "approved" toys just because, and the bullies that pick on kids for everything from their back packs to their height and if I could figure out a way to get my son to and from school without the bus I'd do it. I've given up talking to the bus company as they have NO interest in working with the parents. The dispatcher or whoever answers the phone is rude and obnoxious no matter who I call I get attitude. So, why bother? Of course the bus drivers are rude to the children and parents as well. The school principal sides with the bus company and there is absolutely no recourse for a parent to take. I can't believe this is acceptable. I know I'm not alone, I've talked to other parents at the school, and quite frankly parents of children in different school districts - its the same everywhere. If you've had any luck with improving the bus system at your school, PLEASE advise.

No comments:

Post a Comment